Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Awkward Moment of the Day & I'm Back

I left work today with my eye on getting to the gym before I could rationalize not going and to rest.

Yeah, a sweet reunion. 

It was a success! I did a slooooowwwww 2 (10 min) miles with little problems breathing and not hacking up my lung. I felt myself want more speed and miles but it's about pacing myself and not continuing the cycle of chest cold. So maybe I will be alright for this upcoming race in the COLD!!!

I'm scared of the cold :(

Seriously I will be stalking the weather until Sunday. I'm slightly nervous that I will suck because it will be super cold and I'm just coming out of my ridiculous chest cold that took a week of my workouts! Runner problems :( 

Which brings me to the awkward moment of my day. 

I was in the locker room... Which is never a good start to any story. Any way!

I was in the locker room with other people, who I don't know, changing like usual. When this lady walks in looking like she has had a horrific workout. I felt sorry and proud of her for kicking her own ass. Until she decides to get butt naked in front everyone in the locker room. We are talking butt naked in 5.6 seconds without one second of embarrassment. She just ripped her clothes off while the rest of us scramble to avert our eyes to some place for a not so personal view, like she is facing the rest of us kinda view, of this stranger. As I scrambled around trying to not stare, she decides to walk around naked to go jump on the scale and ponder her poundage for what seemed like a long time. It was probably like 2 minutes but too long for me apparently. I get it, I know we have all been there, probably in our own homes, weighted ourselves naked but WTH. How about a heads up or a towel??

Now, I'm definitely not a prude but I was a little embarrassed and the thought "OMFG followed by shit I wish I had an ounce of her confidence" crossed my mind.  Followed by a grin trying to bust out to a giggle on how ridiculously uncomfortable this scenario made me. This isn't something I see on a daily basis or more like I never seek it out. I have only witnessed this once before in Argentina and those ladies were CONFIDENT. Chatting it up topless with their friends putting on their makeup kind of confidence. I wrote it off as a cultural thing and never thought about it again. Until today, which made me question what are the social graces for the locker room. Had the lady just striped down and thrown a towel over herself got the same reaction as her strutting her naked ass around the locker room? Probably not. 

When I  change my clothes in a locker room, I lay my shit out in an orderly way so there is minimal down time of my ass being out there for everyone to see. And I go old school and slip that sports bra over my other bra and unfasten that after I'm covered. Slip that shirt on before anyone has time to remember what color my sports bra is. I'm in and out of the locker room in 2 minutes flat. I've never thought about my locker room routine, let alone another person.

So my question to you all, is there locker room etiquette (unsaid rules)? 

Thoughts?

Tomorrow is Hump DAY!!! Super excited for the weekend already.

3 comments:

  1. LOL! I see it all the time! I do get undressed and dressed out in the open, but I'm in a corner and I face the wall and I'm fast. I also keep my towel on until my pants are on and then I get my bra and shirt on quick. At my gym in the mornings, there are naked ladies everywhere! This morning in the showers, an older lady showered with the curtain wide OPEN! Um, there are curtains for a reason! Definitely don't need to see another human wash themselves and then dry off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. I've only showered at a gym once because I mostly work out after work. Wouldn't it be wonderful if I could do it before work but that's a whole different topic. Anyway... I did the same thing minimal time out in the open and faced away from others. lol Shower curtains have a purpose :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Same lady was there this morning. Apparently it's her thing and she doesn't care!

    ReplyDelete