Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Turn Around Tuesday

Well thank goodness Monday is over. My lack of blogging pretty much sums up my Monday!

With the cold weather, still have the annoying chest cold, coming back from my first winter race, and returning back to work! I'm blahhhh... But today is Tuesday and I'm hopefully! I digress.

Race Recap

The Clint Pulitzer Memorial 5K

FREEZING! Even with the proper gear I was cold  and sweaty. It was a whopping 21 degrees.The first quarter mile I was flying. The trail was coated nicely with fresh snow. After that it went downhill fast. I run the trail often so I wasn't expecting any surprises in my home turf. Except ice! Yea I didn't realize it was going to make an appearance. I spent the next half mile trying to slow my pace enough to not break a leg. My feet were slipping with every step. My runner partner caught up to me during this icy mess with her cleats (need those) and I told her to run on. She was prepared and there was no reason to hold her back.

I manage to not bite it until the turn around point, where I had to run around a miniature Christmas tree. The volunteers told me to slow down as I was going around it.Okay I did BUT I guess I should have walked around it because I slipped and some dude caught me. Side note: you would have thought we planned that wonderful catch routine. I'm not going to lie I wasn't expecting more icy patches, even with the last mile slipping all over the place, how icy the turn around spot was. I shrieked and probably peed my pants a bit as I saw one leg meet my chin. Seriously thanks college football dude for the catch. After that wonderful mishap my chest wanted to burst into a coughing fit, which is not good when it is slippery out. So I did the smartest thing I have every done in a race and stopped trying to run on the sheet of ice and walk it out til I thought it was safe again and cough like a laughing hyena from one of those Disney movies.

Walking at any point in a race is discouraging. My legs were great, my lungs were as good as it gets with a cold, my attitude was great, my running partner was awesome support, but path in front of me started out wonderful but not ending so great. Side note 2: I walked about the distance between two telephone poles twice during the end of the race. I knew I wasn't doing so bad on time because I could vaguely see my running partner's green coat ahead. It was faint green by the end.. So when I had the time to run I ran hard and ran on pace during the not so slippery part. At this point I just wanted to finish without hurting myself because the half in May is my focus. Another point in the race I used my head. As I approached the last quarter of mile that was the beginning of the race with perfect conditions and saw the time clock. WTF!!!! was the first thing that crossed my mind because the clock just turned 28 minutes. I thought for sure the crash and burn, two walk breaks, and slowing my pace was putting me in the 35 minute bracket. Total shocker to finish in 28 minutes and 30 seconds.

My running partner ended in 26.30! Knowing she did well we decided to go to the awards ceremony just in case she placed and well they serve beer. Priorities people it was a COLD race and well deserved. As we were watching the ceremony. I heard my name...
Sums up my face with a few comments


Seriously wasn't expecting to place in this race that I WALKED and fell (that's a normal thing for me) let alone 3rd place in my age group. My partner in crime took third in her age group too. Super shocked!

Braving the cold and pumped
At the start

GO!!! The best part of the race... start/finish line


Look at how bad my footing is, slipping as we speak.

Dear God there is the end!

My face five minutes after I received the award....stunned!


The only pic with my eyes half way open.
***Thanks honey for taking photos...still trying to figure out the camera.

I'm sore all over. The ice had me erratically running around to catch myself from falling down. My core is painful. I'm pretty sure I strained my ankle. Resting definitely happened yesterday and today. That has never happened to me before in a 5K! Usually, I bounce right back after a 5K even when I raced hard.

Things I know for the next winter race:

1. Buy these.

2.Don't be a fool when it comes to icy, it's no joke and it will kick your ass every time

3. Hydrate like a mother. I didn't do this on Sunday and I paid for it all night Sunday and Monday,

4. Pace yourself and be patient, eye on the prize (half)

Workout Plan:
1. Rest
2. Finish the week with 8 min Abs and squats
3. Body pump (depending on ankle)

Month of December Goals:
1. 8 min Abs every day
2. Body pump class once a week if not twice
3.  Reach 500 miles

Questions:
1. What advice do you have for racing in the winter?
2. Do you make monthly goals?


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on placing! Awesome! Yes, get the Yaktrax! They rock!!

    ReplyDelete