Monday, July 22, 2013

Adventures Hiking with Gus!!

Happy Monday Folks!

Toby has Mondays off from work, so it's like another day to our weekend!! Well, that is until school starts back up for me.

Since there has been zilch, zero, cero  family (Gus, Toby, & myself) time lately. We decided to take it to the mountains.

Gus loves hiking because it's one time he can be off the leash and running freely like a crazed animal.


We were excited and feeling the awesomeness of the workout and fresh air.


Gus is extremely good on trails. He hears his name, he stops, waits for us to catch up. If he goes too far off the trail, he comes back quickly. Because, seriously he knows who feeds him, pampers him, and he is to prissy to be left out in the wilderness alone. 

Along we went on our merry way, trying not to die going up some steep inclines...there were no pictures taken of us choking for air.

Stopped for these views.... 


Evidence that it was a nice workout but we are still smiling... Okay I may not look so wonderful but you should have seen the MOUNTAIN I just climbed. I looked like I was scaling a building :) Pleasant thought...you're welcome!


Toby practicing his breathing techniques.

Until.....
I said, "Honey, maybe we shouldn't be so close to the cliff because Gus doesn't have the best judgment in the world and could go over board."

He says, " Nah, he won't do that."

We continue hiking. Gus is off the trail doing his thing. Gus is called to come back..

No Gus. Gus come! Nothing...

About three minutes later we hear him rustling in the woods. Gus come! Nothing...just more rustling.

Okay it's time to take a look. Toby starts down the 60-75  degree incline.

My thoughts he just broke his leg...

My wifely duties "honey don't hurt yourself." I'm pretty sure I got a head turn on that comment :)

Meantime I can hear Gus trying to get back up the hill. Alright I can't let both of them be down there without me. I need to supervise and I'm more agile than Toby.

What do I see? A wet dog looking terrified. He found the beach.

BUT... He is stuck.  Gus  managed to go down/jumped another incline. This was about a six foot straight down incline and  he could not manage to claw his way back to us. I was scared he would break a leg because he would tumble down about two feet. Images of vet bills were dancing in my head. We went to Gus, thinking this was the best method.

So Toby lowered me down the incline using the dog's leash. Real survivor stuff here. Then Toby followed. We decided to walk the beach and find a not so steep opening back to the trail. Sounds like a plan... Oh wait the sandy, rock hill is soaked from yesterday's rain storm.

Next step...How do we get down to the beach? Without busting it.

Toby, "Babe come this way."

Side note: I wore a causal pair of sneakers because we were suppose to take the easy trail for Gus and hit the gym after the hike.

Me, " No I got it right hereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... I crashed and burned slid down the hill. (There was no pictures taken for photographer safety.)

Toby quiet.

Gus, my protector was by my side. Pointing me to these beautiful views.




I cleaned myself off in the lake and we walked the uninhabited beach for like 45 minutes.. Yeah the not so steep inclines didn't appear. We climbed are way up and then down into this....

Way down there. We had to walk the creek until we found this not so steep incline.... It was a butt & leg kinda workout day. The only thing lost during this venture was a pair of sunglasses.

After 10 -15 minutes of aimlessly hiking through brush we found the trail.

YEAH!!! Time to celebrate.

Say what! I heard something.

 It was a snake!

First of all I never see them hiking.  Secondly, I hate them all. I don't care if it was small or nonthreatening.  It's like a car wreck I have to stare at it because that's the sane thing to do. No I did not get close and there was no picture taking.

Here is our shocked look:

A short 30 minute hike turned into a 2 hour venture and about 2.5 miles. Thank you Gus for this unexpected venture and extreme thigh/leg workout.

He showed us how much he loves us in the car :)

Gus: I love my parents... Dad you have something in your ear, let me get it!



As we pulled into the driveway, "Gangs all here!!!" Gus tries to smile :)


Hope you had a great Monday!!!

1 comment: